If you plan on being on school property this year, it’s important to know the relevant firearms laws. The punishment for breaking some of these laws is severe, so take a few minutes to review the chart below and please forward this on to your friends and family who could benefit from it.
|TEXAS||With License||Without a License|
|Can I Legally Carry a Concealed Handgun On the Premises of a K-12 School?||No, unless the handgun is carried pursuant to written school regulations or authorization.||No|
|Can I Legally Carry an Open Handgun On the Premises of a K-12 School?||No||No|
|Can I Legally Carry a Concealed Handgun Onto the Premises of a University?||Not until “Campus Carry” goes into effect on August 1, 2016.||No|
|Can I Legally Carry a Handgun at a School Event?||No, unless the handgun is carried pursuant to written school regulations or authorization.||No|
|Can I Legally Have a Concealed Handgun in the Car When I Drop My Child Off on School Property?||Yes||Yes|
Can I Legally Carry a Concealed Hand on the Premises of a K-12 School?
- No, it is a felony to carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of a K-12 school.
- But there is an exception…
- A person may carry a concealed handgun on the premises if given written authorization by the school. Texas Penal Code §46.03(a)(1)
Can I Legally Have My Gun in a Motor Vehicle While Dropping My Kids Off at School?
- Yes, a person may keep a concealed handgun in their motor vehicle while on school property with or without a license. Texas Penal Code §46.035(f)(3)
Can I Legally Have My Gun While Walking on a School Sidewalk?
- Yes, because a school sidewalk is not considered a school’s This means that a license holder may legally carry their concealed handgun on the sidewalk or walkway, driveway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking areas. Texas Penal Code §46.035(f)(3)
What About a University or College Campus?
- No, a person cannot carry into the premises of a university or college campus.
- But wait, there’s good news! Beginning August 1, 2016, a license holder may carry a concealed handgun on a university campus.However, a university may prohibit concealed carry in specific locations by posting a 30.06 sign.
- Campus Carry goes into effect for Junior Colleges on August 1, 2017. S.B. 11
The post What Does Texas Law Say About Firearms On School Property? appeared first on U.S. & Texas LawShield.